Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Surgical Consult

We got to meet the famous Dr. Walinsky! He looks just like his picture. He went over the procedure and what he's going to do. My aorta also needs to be replaced, so even if I was a candidate for the new procedure we couldn't do it because he has to replace that. It has an aneurism, so that has to be done too.

We chose to go with the tissue valve. Sometimes that is done with a cadaver valve, which would be a game-time decision if one is available. He said that tissue valves last anywhere from 8-20 years. The technology is growing rapidly. When my valve wears out again, the new procedure will be status quo and they will only have to go through my artery to replace it the next time. If I come to Colorado, he can do it for me when it comes time. Ha ha

He is booked up with everyone wanting to have their surgeries before he leaves, but he moved up the surgery to June 6. He also referred me to pre-op so that IF there is an opening, I will be ready to go.

Here are the questions we asked and the answers:

1. Will there be any numbness?
     No. The procedure has evolved so there will be no numbness around the incision.

2.  Which doctor will take care of me afterward?
     He is leaving to start up the new valve replacement procedure at Memorial Hospital in Colorado Springs, Co. He will be taking care of me in the hospital and afterward. He will still be "in town" for another month if there are any problems. I will follow up with my cardiologist 2 months after surgery.

3.  What if I get sick?
     That is a real problem. He said to make sure that I wash my hands, wash my hands. All. The. Time. Make sure that others in the family avoid sickness. Despite what has been told in the past, take vitamins!

4.  How long is the surgery?
     2 1/2 to 3 hours.

5.  How long will I be in the hospital?
     Four to five days.

6.  Will I have to sleep on my back?
     No. I can sleep on my side, or however I feel comfortable. I just have to be careful about rolling over.

7. Must I avoid putting my arms over my head?
     No. I can raise my arms up above my head, just no stretching, lifting, pulling, or pushing. It's fine to put on shirts, comb and style my hair, and reaching things on a shelf.

8.  How soon can I travel long distances?
     Two months after surgery.

9.  Does the surgery involve intubation?
     Yes. The tube will be put in after I have been put under anesthesia. When I wake up, I will still have the tube in. My arms will be restrained because the shock of it will trigger a response that will instinctively want to pull it out. I will need to be awake (but sedated) to have it removed because I will have to cough. If it takes longer for me to get stable and breathe on my own, I will be knocked out again.

10. How long would someone need to be with me full time after surgery?
     At least a week, then intermittently for 4 weeks.

11.  Do I need to bring clothing with me?
     Bring a good and supportive bra. I will be amazed at how heavy "the girls" will be next to the stitches. I will need it when I get up to walk in the hospital.

12.  Will I have to cough every hour after the surgery?
     No. I will be given a spirometer. It will measure lung capacity. I will have to inhale, hold my breath and then blow out again. I have to repeat this 10 times every hour. The amount of air that I breath in before surgery will be measured. This will be the goal to reach after surgery.

He seems like a very nice man. I'm not sure if he was impressed by all of the questions or if he thought it was status quo. I could not tell either way. I think he was impressed that I Googled him.

On the way up the elevator afterward there was a lady with a food tray. One of the nurses asked what it was. The lady didn't know because they are all different. The nurse said that they even have steak. I said, "The steak is good!" The nurse looked at me and said, "I thought I recognized you!" Ha ha ha ha. I'm now THE STEAK LADY!

No comments:

Post a Comment