Friday, May 13, 2016

Heart Catheterization

I had to be at the hospital at at 8 am. I couldn't have any food or water after midnight. The food part didn't bother me. It was the water. I sometimes sleep with my mouth open and so it was very dry. I tried to rinse out my mouth and spit it out before we left, but it wasn't helping much. I did get a little sip of water when I took my seizure medicine. It still didn't help.

We got to the hospital and checked in at Inpatient Admitting. Even though it's an outpatient surgery, it really isn't, if that makes sense. It's a major procedure and just because you're sometimes allowed to go home, it still means that you have to be admitted if you have to stay longer.

After that we went into the waiting room until somebody came. After we were led through the doors, I went into a small room where I had to put on a gown. My nurse's name was Brenda. Then all the vampires came in. I had to get stuck in my left arm twice for IV's. Once for fluids, and the other for administering medication. It took them a couple of times to get a good vein. That part was really painful because I have such small veins. I have heard that said about me many times before. Then they had to insert another IV of sorts in my right elbow for the part where they were going to look at my arteries. The other puncture would be in my right wrist, but that would happen in the operating room. The doctor would do that because they go through the radial artery, which is the vein that suicidal people cut their wrists for. It's too dangerous for anyone but the doctor. If the doctor couldn't get a good vein in my wrist, they would have to go through the groin, so that area was prepped also.

Every time they had to poke me, Brenda would distract me by talking about my dog, my children, my grandchildren, etc. She was really good. She was very friendly too. It's amazing how nurses work day after day after day, on their feet, and still are good-natured and happy all the time. I had to have yet another EKG. I told Brenda that I'd had 49 of them already. She said, "Well, this one will be 50. It's a nice, even number for us today."

Once I was all prepped (about 9 am), I just had to wait. My procedure was scheduled for 10 am, but they didn't fetch me until about 10:45. I was wheeled down the hall and my husband went to the waiting room. I went into the operating room and had to switch beds. On the table I was given medications through the IV. I was given Benadryl and Fentanyl. Pretty soon the ceiling looked like it was floating. Then it had fuzzy clouds. Then my dog was running through a field. Then they told me to switch back to the other bed.

"What? It's over already?" I was wheeled down the hall to recovery and my husband was there. Brenda asked if I wanted something to drink. I just wanted to sleep. She said that was fine and to sleep if I needed to.

At some point, I realized that I was still thirsty, so I asked for water. I drank lots and lots of it! I ate the ice too (the hospital has such good ice). Brenda had to fill up the cup at least four times. Then I went over the menu for lunch. I wanted mashed potatoes and gravy. I didn't care what else went with it, just the mashed potatoes. But I saw that they had a petite steak and I thought I'd order that.

The doctor came in and told me the results. My arteries look great! They aren't blocked at all. But, the valve is nearly shot. It also has a aneurism. The opening is supposed to be narrow, but mine is very, very wide. It would be comparable to the area between a model's waist and the waist of someone who is extremely obese. In short, I have a fat opening. There's no heart damage, and other than the valve, I'm otherwise healthy. It seems funny to me to say that. It's kind of like, "Hey, my head is hanging off my body, but "other than that" I'm perfectly fine!" The valve needs to be repaired soon or there IS going to be heart damage.

The doctor left and Brenda came in to give me more water and for me to order lunch. I asked her, since I didn't have any blockage, if I could have the steak and mashed potatoes. She clicked her tongue and gave me the unsure look. She said that usually cardiac patients have to pick the food that has the heart symbol by them. She looked at the computer to see what the doctor said. She looked and it said "Normal menu." She was very surprised. She ordered the steak and mashed potatoes, but the cafeteria was trying to make sure because she has never ordered that before.

The next thing I knew was she was bringing me lunch. I had fallen asleep again. I couldn't move my right arm because of the femoral artery, so I had to eat with my left hand. My husband cut up my steak for me and he was feeding me the mashed potatoes. I had just finished those and was starting to work on the green beans, when the monitor sounded that my blood pressure had dropped to 82/50. A few seconds later I felt extremely dizzy. I told my husband to put the bed down flat. I felt like I was going to pass out. My heart rate had dropped to 60 and I was sweating.

Brenda rushed in and gave my oxygen. She had me do some breathing instructions. Then she fired up my IV fluids. She said I was probably dehydrated, and that coupled with the Fentanyl made me woozy. She said I had sat up too quickly. So I had to lie down flat for a while while Brenda put up the bed in graduations. She went to take the food away and I told her that I was still working on the brownie. She said, "You go girl!"

Pretty soon I was able to sit up again and I ate the brownie. It was soo good! I drank more water. And then I was able to move to a chair. Except, my blood pressure kept dropping. Not down that far as before, but still low. They wouldn't let me go home until I could sit up and maintain a good pressure. It was nearing the cut off on the clock to where I might be charged for an extra day and I didn't want to do that. I kept hoping for my blood pressure to stabilize. I really had to pee though. So I told Brenda and she said maybe that's what I needed. She led me to the bathroom and told me to pull the cord when I was done. I thought I'd never stop peeing! But, boy was I loopy!

About a half hour later I was ready to go home. I told Brenda that I would probably never see her again. She says, "I hope not! I mean that in a good way." I laughed. I told her that she could come see me after my heart surgery upstairs. She asked when it was and I told her June 13. She said she was going to write that down and come visit me. She put a brace on my right arm because I'm not able to bend it, stretch it, or put pressure on it for a few days. I'm also not allowed to lift over 10 pounds with it for 5 days. She said that I was going to feel "drunk" for the rest of the evening and then a bit "off" the next day because of the drugs. I was able to get dressed and then put into a wheelchair. I was met by my husband who had brought the car there. I got into the car and we started home. Every time he would go around a curve, I would get a little woozy. I put the seat back and tried to keep my eyes closed.

About 20 miles from home I really had to pee again. My husband asked me if I wanted to stop at the rest area. I told him that I would need help to do it because of the drugs and the rest stop isn't Target. He laughed and said, "Good point." So we traveled on home. I think he was going 85. I ached. I had to keep switching positions. I was almost ready to cry when I started counting down the mile posts. Finally I got home and raced in the door (as much as a drugged up person could) and I thought I'd never stop peeing again. Then I came out and sat down in the recliner. It wasn't but 5 minutes later that I had to go in the restroom again. When I came out again, I laid on the couch and dozed off. Abut a half hour later I had to make a visit to the bathroom again. The rest of the evening was spent dozing on the couch, drinking water, bathroom, dozing on the couch, drinking water, bathroom. I woke up long enough to eat a bit of the food that was brought to us by an amazing lady in town. But then I was back to sleep again. And then to the bathroom again.

At 8 pm I requested that we have family prayer so that I could go to bed. We did that and I didn't even stop to brush my teeth. I changed into my pajamas, put on the TV, and crawled into bed. I don't think I made it through the sit-com before I was asleep. I woke up about three times during the night to visit the bathroom. I finally woke up about 6 am.

I'm still a bit woozy this morning. I'm a little off balance, but not too bad. Once I'm couch-bound again, I'm sure I will be better. I took off the brace long enough to type this, but I have to put it back on and wear it through today. I have to have someone with me (my husband) all day and I can't drive for 3 days.

We meet with the surgeon next week.

My husband was telling me a story of a lady who was on an airplane and the passenger next to her kept trying to talk. She finally broke down and told him of all her troubles that only her closest relatives knew about. He told her, "Stop hogging your journey!" He said that it's selfish to keep your trials and hardships a secret. It is coveting. It denies others of the opportunity to help and to pray. She was robbing them spiritually.

So here I am not hogging my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment