Tuesday, September 28, 2010

God is in Control


I was at the store this morning to buy little white toddler cami's. Why would I buy those if I don't have any toddlers, much less girls at home, you ask? Well, I'm crocheting white blessing dresses for my future granddaughters and the size 2T toddler cami's are the perfect size to use in place of a slip.

I made my selction of a package of 4 white cami's with cute little bows in the middle, walked to the checkout and the purchase rang up "Sell not allowed." At first I was annoyed at the grammar the register had obviously not learned, but then again this is New Mexico. Properly it should have been "SALE not allowed." But I digress.

Turns out the toddler cami's were on recall. For a reason that the neither the cashier nor the manager could tell me. They tried to run it through several times, on different registers, then made a note to pull the item, apologizing for the inconvenience.

Thus, I had to purchase the rest of my items, put them in the car, walk back into the store, all the way to the back and get another brand of toddler cami's. The register rang up the purchase and went through successfully, and I walked out with, albeit 3 cami's instead of 4, with my bag and receipt. I'm assuming the toddler cami's I had orignally tried to buy were being recalled because of the cute little bows on the front--a choking hazzard perhaps?

On the way home, my minor annoyance at being delayed a few minutes in the store turned to grattitude when it ocurred to me that maybe, just maybe, I was delayed just enough time to prevent me from being in a car accident. Or maybe I was held back just a bit as an answer to someone else's prayer that the road would be clear for them to get to the hospital. Or maybe my minor irritation mixed with laughter at the checkstand and wishing the cashiers a sweet day after putting up with me, was just the thing they needed to hear in a job where minor annoyances send some customers into anger displays. I will likely never know.

Belive me, I can whine with the best of them about what the heck He was doing directing some people to apply for jobs that never come to pass, and what the poop deal is that some people are having houses foreclosed, that some are dying of cancer, and that some marriages are ending in divorce.

And if I could just understand why my daughter was taken from me, in the prime of her life, with a bright future ahead of her. If I could comprehend the knowledge that I'll never see those little red-headed grandchildren she was determined to have until I too pass from this life. If I could just deal with the constant reminders of her in the stray socks, loose papers with her name on them, artwork on the closet door in the bathroom, and the smells...oh the smells.

But I cannot deny that in the case of this one package of cami's making it through the processing plant to my hands, at just the right time, when it had never even ocurred to me before walking in the store that toddler cami's would work great as a newborn slip, that God is completely in control.

Therefore, the take home lesson is that God knows each of us and sends us messages through the Holy Ghost to guide our activities, and responses to the minor trials and major disappointments. From a 3 pack package of cami's to the blessings of healing a premature micropreemie who was not expected to live through the day, He is in it all. He can make more of my life than I can.

I know that I have been blessed unknowingly by Him. And I'm quite sure that in doing so, He is letting me know that He's also still in control of every more significant detail of my life--and each of yours.

1 comment:

  1. I am so trying to believe this lesson and hold onto it in my life. Thank you for sharing.....because my life feels super out of control right now......Holding onto your belief.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete